Technically, seeds are ripened embryo-containing ovules. Another description states that the seed is a living embryo which, under various agro-climatic conditions, is a vital and fundamental input for achieving sustained agricultural production growth. Sometimes, the embryo in the seed remains almost suspended and then revives to new growth.
In scientific agriculture, seed is the sign of beginning, seed is the basic input and the most important catalyst. The seed promotes high productivity, increases profitability, generates biodiversity at a sustainable level and offers environmental protection in order to ensure sustainability. In Agriculture, therefore, the seed plays a critical and remarkable role.
Advantages of seed treatment
- Protects germinating seeds and seedlings against soil and seed-borne pathogens/insects.
- Seed germination enhancement.
- Early and uniform establishment and growth
- Enhances nodulation in legume crop.
- Better than soil and foliar application.
- Uniform crop stand, even in adverse conditions (less/high moisture).
Seed treatment is a term that describes both products and processes. Seed treatment can be done in one of the following ways;
Seed dressing: This is the most common method of seed treatment. The seed is dressed with either a dry formulation or wet treated with a slurry or liquid formulation. Dressings can be applied at both farm and industries. Low-cost earthen pots can be used for mixing pesticides with seed or seed can be spread on a polythene sheet and required quantity of chemical can be sprinkled on seed lot and mixed mechanically by the farmers.
Seed coating: A special binder is used with a formulation to enhance adherence to the seed. Coating requires advanced treatment technology, by the industry.
Seed pelleting: The most sophisticated Seed Treatment Technology, resulting in changing the physical shape of seed to enhance palatability and handling. Pelleting requires specialized application machinery and techniques and is the most expensive application.
Crop and Soil Pre-Treatment Prior to Sowing
Certain seeds first need care prior to the sowing process before sowing. Seed scarification, stratification, seed soaking or seed washing with cold (or medium-hot) water can be used in this treatment.
In general, seed soaking is achieved by putting seeds in medium hot water for at least 24 to 48 hours. Seed cleaning is done with fruit in particular, as the fruit flesh around the seed may easily become susceptible to insect or plague attacks. Seed washing is normally carried out in 50 degrees Celsius water by submerging washed seeds for 20 minutes.
How to Sow Seeds in 10 Easy Steps!
- Buy seeds.
- Find some trays or pots.
- Fill the seed trays with seed compost (seed starting potting mix).
- Moisten the surface of the compost.
- Sprinkle the seeds evenly over the compost.
- Cover the seed tray to keep it dark and moist; and place the seed tray in a warm place.
- Uncover the seedlings once they germinate (sprout).
- Transplant the seedlings into smaller, individual pots to give them room.
- Keep transplanted seedlings in the shade.
- Plant them out into the ground (or wherever you want the plant to live) and enjoy!
The basis of Agriculture is seeds. Technology has modernized much of the day-to-day operations of Agriculture, but without a steady supply of high-quality seeds, it would drastically reduce yield and crop quality.
In the manufacturing of agricultural and horticultural crops, seed quality plays an important role. Characteristics such as diversity, percentage of germination, purity, vigour, and appearance.
We provide the best sourced planting seeds at HTS FARMS, Click here to buy .
Please I need
Jarrah RZ – FI Hybrid (72-102) Tomato seeds and,
Afadja RZ – FI Hybrid (93-002) Pepper seeds
How much is the 100 seed packet and your mode of delivery?
I am in Enugu State Nigeria.
Dear Onodu Michael Ikechukwu, Thank you for contacting us. Our team would be sending you a mail shortly.