The only type of oil palm that can produce large amounts of oil is the hybrid tenera type. All seeds from good companies are of this type. The cross between dura and pisifera palms is a hybrid called tenera. Hybrid tenera fruits have a thin shell and the palms produce up to 30 percent more oil than their parents!
Tenera palms are considered the best palms because:
- Each fruit produces a large quantity of oil (which is in the mesocarp, the yellow ‘flesh’);
- The palms produce a large number of fruit bunches.
- Kernels are thin-shelled, meaning a higher oil-to-kernel ratio
- Improved hybrid variety is disease resistant and hardy
- Explosive fruit production rates in hot and humid climate conditions.
- Perfect for growing in Nigeria.