Sammaz 16, a late-maturing maize variety, produces 3.2 tons per hectare under heavy Striga conditions. Even under extreme infestation, harvest loss from this variety is less than 10%. It also exhibits significantly less Striga damage and supports fewer emerged parasites than the susceptible farmers’ varieties. It also has good plant and ear qualities and is highly tolerant to root and stalk lodging. The crop could be harvested within 110-120 days.
Uses of Maize
Maize is used for many different purposes. It is mainly used as fodder for animals, food grain, popcorn, baby corn, sweet corn and green cobs. Corn flour is also widely used.
Maize also serves as a basic raw material to thousands of industrial products that may include oil, starch, alcoholic beverages, food sweeteners, pharmaceutical, gum, textile, package, food cereals, cosmetic and paper industries.
Health Benefits of Consuming Maize/Corn
Consuming maize or corn has some health benefits. Most notable health benefits of consuming maize are mentioned below.
- Due to the fibre content, consuming maize is good for digestion.
- Maize can help in lowering LDL cholesterol.
- Regular consumption of corn can helps in preventing skin problems and can also help to combat hair loss.
- Consuming corn is beneficial for the heart, and it may help in preventing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Eating maize is good for preventing diabetes and hypertension.
- It can help in improving vision and it also has anti-cancer properties
There are no reviews yet.