Sammaz 15, an intermediate-maturing variety, could yield 4.42 tons per hectare, which is 23% higher than the average production of local varieties under Striga infestation. Aside from being resistant to the pest, Sammaz 15 is also highly-tolerant to root and stalk lodging, has a good ear and plant aspects, and excellent husk cover. The crop is ready for harvest 100-110 days after planting.
Uses of Maize
Maize is used for many different purposes. It is mainly used as fodder for animals, food grain, popcorn, baby corn, sweet corn and green cobs. Corn flour is also widely used.
Maize also serves as a basic raw material to thousands of industrial products that may include oil, starch, alcoholic beverages, food sweeteners, pharmaceutical, gum, textile, package, food cereals, cosmetic and paper industries.
Health Benefits of Consuming Maize/Corn
Consuming maize or corn has some health benefits. Most notable health benefits of consuming maize are mentioned below.
- Due to the fibre content, consuming maize is good for digestion.
- Maize can help in lowering LDL cholesterol.
- Regular consumption of corn can helps in preventing skin problems and can also help to combat hair loss.
- Consuming corn is beneficial for the heart, and it may help in preventing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Eating maize is good for preventing diabetes and hypertension.
- It can help in improving vision and it also has anti-cancer properties