Rice is the seed of the grass species Oryza sativa. Rice crops can be either direct-seeded or transplanted.
In direct seeding, seeds are sown directly in the field. While in transplanting, seedlings are first raised in seedbeds before they are planted in the field.
Characteristics of Good Rice Seed
• Good rice seed is pure, usually of the chosen variety, mature and uniform in size, and viable (produces more than 80% germination with excellent vigour, free of weed seeds, diseases, insects, or other matter).
• Good rice seed is usually properly labelled with its name.
It is advisable to use good quality seed from a reliable source for sowing. If the farmers plan to use their own seed, it is important to first sort out unfilled grains before sowing to enhance good germination. Lowland rice: Use 50–60 kg/ha of seed. Upland rice: About 40–50 kg of seed are required to plant a hectare when sowing is conducted by dibbling.
Recommended Rice Varieties
The recommended rice varieties for Northern Nigeria are presented in Table 1.
Notes on GAWAL R1 and Faro 44 rice Varieties
- Make sure both varieties are certified seeds from reputable seed companies for an appreciable yield
- GAWAL R1 does not tiller well like Faro 44, therefore, spacing between transplanted seedlings can be below 20cm. Whether close or wide apart, GAWAL R1 will still lead as the Head Master
- GAWAL can still thrive well even when the seedlings are more than 21 days on the seed beds provided the main rice bays are always wet.
- Faro 44 (the Master Tiller) shouldn’t be left too matured on the seed beds for appreciable tillerability
- Plant GAWAL R1 in early dry season farming because it has tall stalks and big heads (panicles) so that it wouldn’t be affected by early rains
- Faro 44 is just ideal for SRI, casually apply SRI on GAWAL R1 VARIETY
- GAWAL R1 is early maturing, so apply sufficient NPK 3 weeks after transplanting, then apply Urea moderately, 2 times before flowering and panicles initiation
- Please plant on a good soil
- Above all use GAP (good agronomic practice) in your rice cultivation
If you want to see rice stunning you physically especially during panicles initiation and grain filling, with big heads, long grain like never before, then plant GAWAL R1 Variety produces stunning long grain rice with big heads; bears similar looks to foreign rice while Faro 44 (sippi) produces single strands of rice, tillering to many numbers.